Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Emotional Eating Again

It happened again this morning. I was irritated, and I shoveled down my yogurt with flax seeds without thinking. I felt nauseous afterward again; I think it's mostly dairy products I have to really try hard not to eat too quickly. Not that I should eat anything fast, but it's the dairy that gives me this really icky feeling.

Maybe it will help to talk about what's bothering me, and this is my blog anyway, so I'm going to go ahead.

I don't live alone. I'm in college, and I share a rented room with my boyfriend. There are five other bedrooms in the house. A friend of the landlord lives in one and collects our rent. He's very nice and I like him a lot, but he's not the best at setting down the rules or dealing with what's bothering the renters. I understand, I would be the same way, but it gets irritating. Another housemate is very quiet but friendly enough when you run across him, and he's out all day so he doesn't bother anyone.

The three other rooms, until recently, were taken by a bunch of friends who loved to have loud parties two or three nights a week. They'd drink and play beer pong and listen to music right outside my bedroom door until five or six in the morning. This was really stressful, especially since they would never listen if anyone asked them to turn it down. I was happy when they finally all moved out.

I got a friend to take one empty room, and she's moving in in two weeks. The landlord's friend found someone he knows too, someone who is quiet and respectful. Things were looking good, until the third new resident moved in.

I'll call her Mary - I don't want to use her real name. She is nice enough, but she just doesn't match up with the rest of us. She's probably in her mid-twenties, but every day since she moved in she has had her mother and several friends over moving stuff around, inspecting the house and complaining about it. No one else has ever brought their parents in for more than a minute to help move in their stuff. Maybe it's not that much of a big deal, but we're all adults, and it makes me uncomfortable to have someone's parents walking around all the time.

Apparently they do not think the kitchen is clean enough, which really hurts since I've put in hours cleaning over the past few weeks and no one has helped. Mary, her mother, and a friend, went out to buy tons of cleaning supplies and told me not to help them clean, then said that they are going to create a chore schedule for the rest of the house. I don't like that at all. The rest of us are comfortable with the usual cleanliness level of the kitchen (which is really not bad, there are a couple dishes in the sink and the floor could use mopping), plus none of us use the kitchen equal amounts of time or on a set schedule, and some of us have physical limitations that make certain chores harder.

Worse, the three of them brought over someone's four-year-old kid and let him run wild with anything he finds, including the balls and cues from the expensive pool table. I just want to go out there and tell him that is not a toy! They also brought over another dog for some reason, in addition to Mary's dog which barks loudly all day long when she's gone and scares my cat. She also wants to park her car in the garage, which means everyone storing stuff there will have to move it and I will have to move my car every single time she wants to leave the house.

None of this is too terrible in the end, but I think it is understandable that I am irritated when I expected all of my housemates to be mature and self-sufficient, not to mention to take care of their pets. I'm sure we will all work it out somehow, and I feel better after typing this.

I really hope I can do better with the emotional eating next meal. I was even tempted to eat the icky leftover ice cream I mentioned a few days ago when I opened the freezer. I guess I'm more easily triggered than I thought.

1 comment:

  1. I hope things are working better for you. Maybe talking to them directly/asking the landlord to intervene might help? Of course, your best-case scenario would be that they "hate it" so much that they decide to leave! Maybe that will happen?

    ReplyDelete